Sunday, October 6, 2013

13.1

Yesterday was the big day, my first half marathon!

The morning began with a quick panic attack after having a dream that I overslept, ignored my alarm and missed the race. I thought the dream was real and I was so upset. I had been waiting for this race for a while now and this was my opportunity to prove to myself that I could do this. I was so thankful to know that it was only a dream and I still had plenty of time to get ready.
After getting ready, I ate a quick breakfast, and it was time to go. Upon leaving the house, I noticed it was raining. Despite all my preparations, I forgot to check the weather. It continued to rain during the drive to the race and as I waited around for the race to begin. As I was walking to the start line, it was still raining. As the sun was coming up, the race began and the rain continued. It finally stopped raining as I approached mile 2. The first 3 miles seemed to go by fast, although I had to prevent myself from thinking about the 10 miles that I still needed to do.

Since it rained the majority of the night before, the course was wet and muddy in some places. I just continued to run, listen to my music and enjoy my "ME" time. Around mile 4, I had a huge boost of energy. I felt like screaming with excitement, singing out loud and engage in conversations with fellow runners. Even though I did none of these, I still had a huge smile on my face while I continued through miles 4, 5 and 6.

Once I was at mile 7, I thought to myself you are halfway done. I was running with a running belt. I had two bottles filled with Gatorade and water. I also had a granola bar. I wasn’t sure if I was going to hit a wall and not be able to keep running. I told myself once I got to mile 7, I would have that granola bar. It was very difficult to keep running and eat that granola bar at the same time, but I did it. Miles 8 and 9 seemed to take a while. During mile 9, I told myself “Just get to mile 10 and then go into 5k mode”. I don’t really know what I was saying. I don’t have a different mindset when going into a longer race or a 5k. I kept saying that to myself and somehow it helped. I got to mile 10 and told myself, only a 5k is left. I felt myself begin to slow down around mile 11. During mile 11, I felt that I was on autopilot. I wasn’t even thinking about running anymore, I was just doing it. I was telling myself that I probably couldn’t have stopped if I wanted to AND I didn’t want to because I have 2 miles to go. I was thrilled to reach mile 12.

During the final mile, I began to hold back tears. I was so proud that I was pushing myself and proving I could do it. I thought it was silly that I was beginning to cry as I was coming into the home stretch. I was so happy to know that I was running every single step and also that I could see the finish line. During the last 30 seconds of the race, I started sprinting.


I didn’t know I had any more energy left in me, let alone one final push to the end. I crossed the finish line and I was so overjoyed. After finishing, I tried to walk, but it was difficult. It hurt to walk! I probably looked like a calf that was walking for the first time, but I didn’t care. I was drenched in sweat and walking like a baby calf but I had the biggest smile on my face.
 
 
I still can’t believe I did it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment