Thursday, November 7, 2013

Pink Banana

I have really been enjoying myself the past couple weeks. I have been going to as many farmer markets as I can find. On one of my farmer market trips, I came across of local stand where the majority of the produce was squash. That’s not really surprising given the season. While I was at this place, I found myself looking at all the different kinds of squash that were available. I came across a Carnival Squash, Sweet Potato Squash and, the most shocking, Pink Banana Squash. I have bought squash before, but usually stick with only a few varieties. My curiosity got the best of me and before I knew it I was loading  Carnival, Sweet Potato and a Pink Banana into the car. As I was driving home, I was getting more and more curious and anxious to cook these different squashes up.

Below is a picture of the pink banana squash that I bought.

 

As soon as I got home, I began preparing my kitchen for a squash bake-athon. Besides purchasing these three new squashes that I never had before, I also previously had Acorn squashes, a spaghetti squash, a large Hubbard squash and two Butternut squashes awaiting for this bake-athon. As soon as the oven was preheated, the bake-athon began. It was raining that day and the smell of the something in the oven made it an ideal fall day. As the squashes were done cooking, I removed the skin and began filling zip-lock bags.

Here’s a picture of my madness! (Only about 1/4 of what was I was doing.) The long squash in the front is the Pink Banana.
 


Out of all the squash I baked, the only one I tried that day was the Pink Banana squash. I was the most curious about the taste of that, so I had to try some. I stocked the freezer with pre-baked squash and kept as many seeds as I could. I kept the seeds with the intention of trying to grow my own squashes next year. I also had another motive for keeping the seeds. Baking them! Since I had so many different kinds of seeds, I used a different spice and herb for each one! The only baked squash seed that is still available for consumption is the Pink Banana squash.
I really enjoy finding new produce to cook with and try. Especially if it’s in season and cheap.

1 comment:

  1. As I was at the booth of Peter Roberts this was exactly the case rolex replica uk and - to top it all off - I had the chance to look not only at this new, modern series but the original watch that he built in 1972 as well (pictured above). And this is exactly what I felt SalonQP was about. Those who attend may rest assured that they will get to rolex replica uk personally meet the people behind some of their favorite brands, that there is a chance of shaking hands and exchanging thoughts with every exhibitor regardless of whether he/she is the founder, the CEO, a watchmaker or the expert of rolex replica sale another craft. This creates a special opportunity to look at the industry from a more personal point of view. It is a genuinely fun and replica watches yet professional way of improving your understanding of the industry and perhaps even trying your abilities in a few of watch making's many indispensable crafts. And all this, collectively, is why I replica watches uk recommend you to mark the 2014 event in your calendar.

    ReplyDelete